If you always find yourself riding the bike and would like your pooch to tag along, then a dog bike basket carrier should be on your mind. Trust me! There’s nothing as pristine as the feeling of taking a hike to the hills with your dog by your side. And like humans, dogs also enjoy the breeze that comes with cycling around. So, why enjoy those windswept moments alone when you can easily do it together with your furry companion?
Like any other pet resource, there are different types of dog bike basket carriers on the market. However, the best carrier should be secure, safe, and comfortable. Your pet’s size and weight are important factors to consider when picking the right bike basket carrier size. Also, the best carriers come with a special attachment to secure your doggy and discourage it from jumping out.
If you’ve just introduced the basket carrier to your dog, it might take some time to get used to it. We recommend going for a comfortable option so that the dog doesn’t feel uneasy while cruising. Many models feature a cushioned interior, rain cover protection, and sufficient ventilation for maximum comfort.
|Amazon Link||Kim's Rating|
|(Kim's #1 Pick)|
Cape May Rear Mount
|(Best Budget Pick)|
Lixada Bike Basket
Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot Wicker MAX
Reviews of the Best Dog Bike Carriers
Like most of you, I’ve had my doggy backpack for long, but that only works when I’m walking and don’t want the pup to be fatigued. Like during hikes in the mountains or camping expeditions. You don’t have to carry the dog on your back if you’re mostly riding a bike. The bike carrier bag frees you the hassle and makes your trip much fun.
The bike basket carrier market is not the easiest to navigate, which is why we did the ‘dirty work’ for you. I have reviewed some of the highest-rated models to give you just 9 of the very best to choose from.
Best Dog Bike Basket: Cape May Large Rear Mount
Your dog doesn’t fit in a standard bike carrier? Don’t worry. This hand-crafted bike basket mounts on the rear bicycle rack with the included steel mounting bracket. It only takes a few seconds to assemble, but the stable, flat-bed design makes it one of the most secure dog bicycle baskets on the market. The steel bracket transfers the dog’s and basket’s weight to the bicycle seat for a safer cruising experience.
The basket is made of heavy duty, natural willow with the reinforced double weaving technique for a sturdier feel. What’s more, the floor is lined with ½ inch wood to enhance its holding strength and secure the doggy better. With the wooden bottom and the brackets well mounted, this Beach and Dog Co basket can hold dogs up to 25 lbs.
The Cape May Large Rear Mount basket features a removable black powder-coated steel cage to contain your dog. It comes with faux leather straps as well to hold the basket cage in position. Additionally, the easy to use thumbscrew on the rear mounting bracket makes installation easy and quick.
- Flat-bed design and steel mounting bracket makes the basket secure
- Multi-purpose basket can be used for grocery runs
- The removable steel basket cage prevents your pooch from jumping out
- The adjustable basket leashes are very efficient
- Doesn’t come with rain cover protection
- No interior cushioning
Budget Pick: Lixada Bike Basket
The Lixada Bike Basket boasts of genuine, high-quality construction with strong Oxford cloth. The hard-wearing cloth and woven canvas design are tear-proof, thereby enhancing the basket’s durability. It looks amazing to the eyes and, most importantly, stands the test of time, comfortably holding dogs up to 22 lbs.
It also features a strong aluminum alloy frame to hold the woven canvas in place. The unbreakable frame gives the basket dog bike an elegant outlook while still protecting your pooch.
This multi-functional bike basket for dogs can also be used as a shopping bag. Once dismounted from the bike, use the two plastic straps on either side to carry the bag around easily. You can also carry the dog in the bag if you don’t want to leave your furry companion on the bike.
It has an adjustable closure system that helps to increase the basket’s capacity. This is important, especially when you’re out shopping and need to carry more items on your bike. Finally, the foldable design makes storage blissful.
- Made of high-quality Oxford fabric
- Strong aluminum alloy frame
- Folds easily for easier storage
- Adjustable closure system increases the capacity
- Affordable price
- Isn’t sturdy enough for larger pets
Runner Up: Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot
Like the Cape May Large Rear Mount, this one features a double weaving design and a steel canopy to restrain your pooch. It assembles quickly and easily, leaving you with more time to spend with your furry friend. Additionally, it has a padded floor and safety top to promote a comfortable and secure haven for your pooch.
It comes with a superior quality steel frame with hand-crafted, breathable woven Resin Wicker. Besides the thickly padded floor, the K9 Pet-Pilot also has an adhesive, removable black liner that’s extra comfortable and machine-washable. What’s more, the removable steel containment top has an integrated sunshade to protect your dog from extended sun exposure.
The K9 Pet-Pilot basket boasts of one of the most stable designs in the pet world market. The patented handlebar allows you to carry more weight on your bike without swaying. The 2-point safety strap, chrome clasp and safety leash attaches to your pooch’s harness for maximum safety while riding.
- Plenty of storage space
- Superior quality steel frame
- Comes with a removable black liner and padded floor
- Sturdy handlebar makes it very stable
- Not compatible with some e-bikes
Another Good Alternative: Pet Carrier Bicycle Basket
This all-in-one pet basket can be used as a bike basket, backpack, shoulder bag, or car seat carrier. It’s easy to install and remove with no assembly required. Simply strap up on the bike, and your pooch has a comfortable haven. The quick-release buckles allow you to mount and remove the basket in a minute.
This safe and secure pet carrier comes with an adjustable safety leash that attaches to your dog’s collar to discourage it from jumping out. Also, the basket has a drawstring mesh cover closure for extra security. The mesh cover allows for plenty of fresh air and ventilation even when the pet is completely inside.
The basket’s mesh venting can be rolled up so that your dog can enjoy the exciting view of your bike riding adventure.
You can also use the basket to carry groceries and other items in the store. The side mesh pockets can hold small items like your phone, the dog leash, and a water bottle. Lastly, it has a collapsible design that makes storage easy.
- All-in-one design
- Easy to install and remove
- Mesh venting allows for efficient ventilation
- Spacious and comfy
- It requires at least 14 inches’ head stem clearance to install
Another Good Alternative #2: Petsfit Safety Dog Bike Basket
This incredible basket is ideal for smaller dogs and is good for all bikes. It features a solid bottom to prevent the pet from sliding down and a safety leash attachment to secure it while inside. What’s more, it has a highly effective drawstring mesh for extra security, especially when the bike is moving.
The multi-functional bag connects and disconnects from the bike for use as a pet carrier. The side pockets can store a small water bottle, pet treats, or leash clip. Also, it falls flat when not in use for easy storage.
The bag has a reflective strip at the front part to remind other road users about your poodle. It has a removable, double-use mat that’s easy to clean. What’s more, you can use the plush side for winter and the nylon side for summer.
The mesh top allows for efficient airflow in the basket, successfully eliminating the hot and humid aura. What’s more, it allows your dog to be on the loop with a great view of the unfolding adventure.
- Reliable pet basket/carrier combo
- Easy to clean two-sided mat
- Comfortable and secure
- Easy to install
- Leash strap may be too long
Another Good Alternative #3: PetSafe Happy Ride
Happy Ride Dog Bicycle Basket is the ultimate bike carrier if you want your dog to tag along in the adventure. The detachable basket comes with a shoulder strap for easier conversion from a bike basket to a carrier. Also, it comes with sturdy brackets and safety straps that attach easily to your bicycle’s handlebar.
This athletic design pet bag has a nylon construction that gives it a sporty and modern look without compromising durability. The built-in pockets allow you to conveniently store water, lashes, poop bags, and sunglasses.
The deluxe bike basket features a removable sunshade to protect your poodle from the harsh sun. Also, the adjustable safety leash keeps your pet safe and secure. Its sturdy construction boasts of pet support up to 13 lbs.
- Athletic design nylon construction
- Plenty of storage space
- Useful overhead canopy
- Easy assembly with provided brackets and safety straps
- For small dogs only
Another Good Alternative #4: Lixada Bike Basket Folding
This premium dog carrier is made of high-quality Oxford cloth and a sturdy aluminum frame. Its multi-functional design allows you to carry food and other stuff for a picnic with or without the bike. The quick-release handlebar makes assembling and removing the basket super blissful.
The hard-wearing Oxford fabric is both durable and easy to clean. The waterproof design allows you to leave your bike outside without worrying about getting the basket’s interior wet. What’s more, it can withstand drizzly conditions when hiking without soaking your pet. And when it gets dirty, just rinse with clean water.
The basket comes with a handy front flap pocket for the safe storage of keys, dog treats, phone, and poop bags. The mesh holding pocket on the side is ideal for storing your water bottle for the adventure ahead. Also, the reflective stripes on the front and side pockets promote visibility and safety at night.
- Multi-functional bike carrier
- High-quality Oxford fabric
- The carrying straps make it easy to use the basket as a pet carrier
- Plenty of storage space for other essentials
- Lacks a cover
Another Good Alternative #5: URBEST Bike Basket
This multi-functional bike basket carrier is ideal for outdoor shopping, picnicking, grocery shopping, and as a pet carrier. The quick-release handlebar mount makes assembly and removal blissful. Simply snap it and use it as a bike basket or pet carrier.
Its lightweight and durable design renders it perfect for hosting your pup on your next hiking trip. The sturdy metal frame and solid oxford fabric make it one of the most durable and aesthetic-looking pet basket. It’s super stylish and practical as well, with up to 7 different color options to choose from.
The waterproof, easy to clean design makes cleaning and overall maintenance very easy. The basket can withstand drizzly conditions, and you only need to rinse it with clean water to wipe off visible dirt marks. Also, it’s ideal for a small dog, holding up to 11 pounds.
- Can be used as a pet carrier off the bike
- Waterproof, easy to clean material
- Sturdy metal frame
- Assembly and removal is snap
- Doesn’t have a cover
Another Good Alternative #6: ANZOME Dogs Carrier Bike Basket
This dynamic 3-in-1 bike basket boasts of snap assembly and removal. Its foldable and detachable design makes it easy to uninstall without any tools. What’s more, it fits the handlebars of most bikes.
Its lightweight and durable design makes it ideal for carrying your dog around while guaranteeing longevity. The sturdy metal frame and solid Oxford fabric make up one of the most stylish and durable dog bicycle basket. Moreover, it comes with a 15.5” sewn in leash to enhance your pooch’s comfort and security.
This model has a waterproof and easy to clean design with minimal cleaning requirements. Just use clean water to wipe off dirt marks and air dry it regularly. The bike dog basket can also withstand drizzly conditions without soaking your dog.
The foldable dog basket also features reflective stripes to promote visibility and safety, especially at night.
- Multi-functional pet rider
- Waterproof and easy to clean fabric
- Quick-release handlebar mount makes removal a snap
- Sturdy metal frame and solid Oxford fabric
- Holds small pets only
How to Choose a Dog Bike Carrier
- Your dog’s size. The size and weight of your dog will determine which bike basket you go for. All dog carriers are categorized using the maximum weight limit, which means you have to know your dog’s weight before buying one. Most bike carriers hold pets between 11-25 lbs. Also, the basket must accommodate your dog when seated and standing.
- Front or rear-mounted. Where do you want to carry your pooch from? Front-mounted bicycle baskets are good, especially if you want to have a view of your pet during the bike ride. On the other hand, rear-mounted dog carriers add stability to your bike, especially if you have a bigger dog.
- Comfort. Besides the basket’s size, your pooch’s comfort is an important factor to consider when picking a dog bicycle basket. We recommend models that come with an inner pad to ensure the dog is comfortable at all times. If possible, pick a basket with both the bottom and wall paddings.
- Safety. Your dog’s safety is the single most important feature in any bike carrier. The materials used should be sturdy enough to contain the dog at all times. A safety strap should be connected to the bike with additional harness points to restrain the dog. Some products feature a removable metal top to enhance the dog’s safety and provide efficient ventilation.
For people cycling in low visibility areas, picking a dog basket with reflective stripes can be a great idea.
- Durability. Like any other product, your dog basket’s longevity will depend on a few factors, including the materials used and how well it’s maintained. We recommend going for materials that are durable and easy to clean.
- Sun protection. Some dog carrier baskets come with a removable sunshade to protect your dog from extended sun exposure. Others come with complete roof protection to keep off light showers.
Note: when picking sun and rain protection-integrated dog bike baskets, ensure the design allows for sufficient ventilation.
- Multi–functional design. Rather than buying 3 different pet bags, why not get one that can play all three roles. We recommend picking pet baskets with snap uninstallation designs and flexible functionality. Most of the options in my review can be used as pet carriers, dog baskets, and shopping bags.
- Storage pockets. Having additional storage pockets on the dog basket enhances its usefulness. You can store a water bottle, pet treats, poop bags, and your phone in the pockets. This eliminates the need to carry an extra bag the next time you ride along with your furry companion.
Dog Biking Safety Tips
As stressed before, safety is the most important tip when picking a dog bicycle basket. So, here are a few dog biking safety tips:
- Follow the manufacturer’s installation guidelines. Once you pick a dog carrier basket, ensure you connect it as instructed. Failure to do so may lead to fatal accidents with your dog on board.
- Keep the bag away from moving parts. When connecting the basket, ensure that none of your dog’s parts are close to the bike’s moving parts.
- Restrain your pup. Dogs are unpredictable and curious creatures. To prevent yours from jumping out of the basket carrier, ensure the leash is attached firmly. Some bags also come with a removable metal frame to lock in your pup while still providing enough ventilation.
- Protect the dog from harsh weather conditions. Some bike carriers have integrated hoods to shield your dog from the sun, rain, or snow.
- Keep your dog excited and hydrated. Most bike basket carriers come with an array of storage pockets. These convenient storage pockets allow you to bring along dog essentials like water and treats.
That’s it! Dog bike basket carriers bridge the gap between cycling and spending time with your pooch. They provide a safe haven for your dog whenever you feel like riding your bike in the neighborhood or go for a mini hike. What’s more, most of these carriers are multi-functional with snap removal. The flexibility allows you to ride along with the dog or use the bag to carry groceries and other stuff.
As you’ve seen, there are numerous factors to consider when shopping for a dog bike basket. From your pooch’s size to the materials used and safety features, picking one can be overwhelming. For this reason, we’ve spent weeks reviewing dozens of models to get you’re a good selection to choose from. All the tips and important features highlighted in the article were considered in the tests.
So, have a look at 9 of the most practical, safe, and comfortable dog basket carriers and choose the one you like the most.
Thanks for the read!